Connect Shopify using a custom app
There are two ways developers can integrate with Shopify: as an app in the Shopify app marketplace or via a custom app. Currently, Middle does not meet Shopify's requirements to facilitate a connection in the app marketplace. Because of this, unless you have an approved Shopify partner app, you'll need to use custom apps to connect to Shopify via Middle.
Custom apps live at the Shopify store level and are created and configured by a Shopify store admin. You will need to create a custom app for each of the stores you need to connect.
The below instructions explain how a Shopify admin can create a custom app:
- Click Apps in the left-hand navigation bar in your store or search for “Apps” in the search bar
- Click Develop apps to the left of “Shopify App Store” or click Developer apps for your store under “Build custom apps for your unique needs”
- If you haven’t already, you’ll need to click Allow custom app development
- Once you’ve reviewed and agreed to Shopify’s disclaimer you should be able to click to Create an app
- This will bring up a pop-up to begin creating your custom app.
- Name the app
- Set the developer as yourself
- Congratulations! You have created an app. Now, you’ll need to click to Configure the Admin API Scopes. Your app’s admin API scopes determine what data your app will be allowed to access or what actions your app will be able to perform in Shopify. Essentially, you’re setting up what will be allowed to go through the doorway your app represents. Scopes are important for data security. There is no reason to enable more scopes than are necessary.
- You will need to enable the following scopes to grab data from Shopify:
You can search for the scope you’d like to allow for your custom app
- You can ignore the other settings on this page, like webhook subscriptions, etc. Go ahead and click Save.
- Next, you’ll need to get your app’s credentials (the lock and key on your door). To do this, go to API credentials in the menu at the top of the page.
- You’ll then need to download the app to your store. Go ahead and click to do this.
- You should then see three credentials: “Admin API access token,” “API key and secret,” and your access token these are needed in Middle.
Custom app credentials in Shopify
Repeat the above steps for any other stores.